Friday, March 27, 2009

March Madness and the Carolina strangle-hold

As I sit here watching the UNC-Gonzaga game, I've come to realize that Ty Lawson is a pretty good ball player. And by good, I mean the best I've seen at the college level in a few years. When that kid is in the line-up, I can't see anyone beating the Tar Heels.

Regardless of how good they are, the fact is Carolina is leading by 22 right now, yet CBS is opting to show this game rather than Michigan State-Kansas, a two-point game with under 20 seconds left. I can't stand the regional strangle-hold that teams like Carolina and Duke have on this state.

What's the big deal with showing the last 20 seconds of a great game before showing the last five minutes of a blow-out. After all, that's what March Madness is all about. Great basketball. Sure, there will be some lop-sided games. But once they reach that point, let's be content with checking in every now and then so we can watch some competitive basketball.

As good as Ty Lawson is, I don't care about him scoring his 30th point in a 20-point win as much as I do seeing a game-winning shot in a less regionally important game.

So get it together CBS. Show us the truly important moments of the big dance.

*In an additional note, my dark horse for The Masters, Bubba Watson, failed to make the cut this week at the Arnold Palmer Invitational (shot a poor +7... internal "uh oh"). Let's hope he can get his game together in the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment