Sunday, March 1, 2009

He's baaaaaaaack!

After seven months twiddling his thumbs on the sidelines, Tiger Woods, the man responsible for the survival of golf in America finally announced his return this past week at the World Golf Championships Match-Play event. This was without question the highlight of my sports week as I wanted to know what would be different about the 65-time PGA Tour event winner.

Coming out of his extended layoff due to torn knee tendons and fractured leg bones, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who was betting on Tiger actually winning this week. But at the same time, it'd be even harder to find someone betting that he wouldn't win it.

The guy walks around a golf course with this vibe that if he has a club and a ball, he always has a chance. If he was forced to play an entire week with just his 7-iron, I would still find him lifting the trophy on Sunday plausible. I've seen him do nearly everything, so who's to say he won't take one more step towards impossible.

So standing on the first tee Wednesday, I gave Tiger a chance for a win in his first event back. Imagine how good I felt when he birdied the first and went 1-up right out of the gate. Imagine how elated I was when he birdied the second to go 2-up. A few holes later, all I could do was shake my head as he eagled and went 3-up on the front nine. "Here we go again!"

Tiger ended up winning that first match handily but was topped the next day by a dangerous #8 seed in Tim Clark. The rustiness ended up biting Tiger, but in those two days, he showed the world why he's the best.

Ever since the golf season started in January I've been listening to people say that Tiger won't win a major this year. After watching his first few holes back, I'm saying he won't not win a major.

No comments:

Post a Comment